Thursday, February 16, 2012

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

It has been over two months since my last post and I haven't played a single hand of poker since the CPMG Fall Classic tournament back in mid-November.  Christmas had a lot to do with that, as buying for three kids severely depleted my already non-existent bankroll.  But then again, I haven't really had an itch to play poker either.  I've seen a couple tournaments posted that I would have liked to attend - namely, Data's Poker After Darks and H2's Deep Stack - but I wasn't able to swing them due to my family's busy schedule or because I just couldn't afford it at the time.  I am hoping to make an appearance at Colin's upcoming Big Stack Bounty tournament or - *gasp* - even at a cash game.  Yes, I said it.  A cash game.  Most of my poker friends and acquaintances strictly know me as a tournament player and this blog is certainly evidence of that, but I realized a long time ago that the cash table is where the real money is made.  My only problem has been drumming up enough of a bankroll where I can sit comfortably at the 1/2 or 1/1 table and not worry about it if I happen to lose a buy-in or two.  Many of you have seen me dealing cash games over the past several months, which has 100x improved my comfort level in that type of environment.  Admittedly, I haven't been the most attentive dealer in terms of picking up tells, tendencies and betting patterns of the players, but I've paid enough attention where I could sit comfortably with the majority of them.  It's amazing how much you can pick up over the course of one night.  Anyway, here's hoping it's not another 2 months before my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,

    Enjoy your posts, finally got the chance to put the name and face together when you dealt at hip's the other night.

    What kind of tells could you pick up on Llloyd and the drunk kid next to him?

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete