Thursday, August 23, 2018

Triple Shot

I know it’s not uncommon for people to play poker on a daily basis. I’m sure some of you reading this blog play 4 or 5 times per week, if not more. I wish I had the bankroll to afford that luxury, but I haven’t played a poker on back-to-back days since I was grinding online at PokerRoom.com in 2005. Fortunately, I enjoyed a rare poker triple shot this past weekend.

Friday night, August 17th
I hosted a $40 PLO Tournament that featured 13 runners. Believe it or not, I’ve only played PLO a handful of times in my life. I’ve been wanting to get more experience in the game so I’m glad there was enough interest. A few days prior to the tournament, Doug Poker asked me about having a .50/.50 PLO cash game after the tournament and I agreed if he could find a set of cash game chips. Many thanks to Adam for letting us borrow his set. I didn’t keep a running log for the tournament, but somehow managed to finish 3rd:

1st place - Xavier Sosa, $260
2nd place - John Pshock, $155
3rd place - Ryan Rufe, $105
Bubble - Yoda

I was very successful in the cash game afterwards, which ended up being a 6-handed game of dealer’s choice between Jon Novak, Doug Poker, Pyxis, Xavier, myself and Stephen. I bought in for $40 and cashed out for $141 an hour and a half later. We played PLO, PLO8, Stud 8, Crazy Pineapple and Big O. Between the tournament and he cash game, I profited $166 on the night. Good times.

Saturday, August 18th
After ending the cash game at 1am, I was due back on the felt at 1pm for the $100 NLHE Deepstack that I posted on the CPMG website about a month prior. At one point, I had as many as 17 people RSVP and was well on my way to having a 3 table tournament. Unfortunately, I only had 11 runners by game day and started with a 6-5 split between 2 tables before combining to a final table of 9.

30000 chips to start with 30 minutes levels that included antes (big blind responsible for posting for everyone) after Round 5. My opening table featured Caryn, Doug Poker, Pyxis, Danielle and Krazy Joe. I remained relatively quiet in the first few levels, slightly building my stack to 32450 by the end of level 3. I took a big hit in level 4 (200/400), flopping a set of sixes against Caryn’s flopped set of Aces and was down to 12450 at the first break.

After the break, I was involved in another set-over-set situation, but this time I was on the winning side with Queens over Danielle’s eights to double up. In level 6 (300/600/50), we combined to a final table of 9 that featured myself and (to my left) Malcolm, Pyxis, Krazy Joe, Yosh, Caryn, Papa Zuited, Dana and Danielle. My stack fluctuated between 20k and 12k for a while until I went on an absolute heater in level 8 (500/1000/100). I moved all in with AKo to pick up some blinds and antes. I then raised 3 out of the next 5 hands with 6d5d, J9o and AKo (again). I missed the flop on all 3 but a c-bet was enough to win each one. At the end of the level, I had 38000 and some much needed momentum. Unfortunately, that momentum dried up rather quickly and 38k was the most I had all tournament. I hung around for 4 more levels, but with 5 players left and blinds at 2000/4000/500, I moved all in with 8d6d and bricked against Yosh’s AK.

1st place - Yosh, $550
2nd place - Papa Zuited, $330
3rd place - Caryn, $220
Bubble - Danielle

Sunday, August 19th
Caryn texted around 5:30 inviting me to a single table $40 tournament at 7pm that featured Doug Poker, Jon Novak, David Lee, Luckbox Linda, Krazy Joe and some others. 20000 chips to start with 20 minutes levels. I was sitting pretty early after 3-betting Doug’s 400 chip raise in late position with KcQc. I made it 1100 straight and Doug and Molly came along to see the KQ4 flop. Doug led out for 2500 and Molly called. I made it 7000 and both folded (Doug said he had AK). I had 26150 going into level 3 and roughly 22k at the first break.

In level 7 (300/600), I raised from early position to 2100 with KsTs. Jon called, Krazy Joe went all in for 3100 and Doug immediately moved in for 7500. It was 5400 to win more than 20k, so I made a quick call and Jon folded (pocket nines). Doug won the pot with 7c5c after pairing his seven on the turn, but Jon would’ve won and knocked out 2 players if he stayed in. I had about 12k left after losing the hand. A few hands later, I look down at AsKs and move in from UTG for 9300. Jon called with ATo and paired his Ten to knock me out of the tournament.

Overall, it was a fun weekend. I did get burned out a bit Saturday during the long grind of the deepstack tournament, but that was to be expected. Stay tuned for more poker recaps as I continue to host games throughout the summer and fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment