Monday, October 24, 2011

The Sharkscope Measure

For those of you unfamiliar with Sharkscope, it's an online poker stat-tracking web site that accounts for SNG and MTT results.  Players can type in their (or anyone's) online poker screen name and Sharkscope will display records of all of the games they’ve played to date, and their profitability.  When a player's screen name is entered, Sharkscope returns the following data about them:
  • Number of Games Played
  • Average Profit
  • Average Stake
  • Average Return on Investment (ROI)
  • Total Profit
  • Overall Ability (on a scale of 0 to 100)
I used Sharkscope frequently back when I was "grinding" on PokerRoom, as it was a valuable tool to see if my SNG or MTT opponents were (in general) winning or losing players.  Anyway, here are my Sharkscope results when you search 'rufebert' under the PokerRoom filter:

Username
Games Played
Av. Profit
Av. Stake
Av. ROI
Total Profit
Form
Ability /100
Network
Filter
214
$7  
$61  
44%
$1,588  
89
Ongame
Pokerroom

rufebert         
72
$51  
$69  
194%
$3,698  
93
Ongame
Sch. Only Pokerroom

rufebert         
142
-$15  
$57  
-31%
-$2,110  
63
Ongame
SNG Only Pokerroom


My first observation is that the total number of Games Played is inaccurate, as I played way more than 214 games overall.  I know that Sharkscope began tracking different poker sites at different times, but I am unsure what month/year they started and stopped tracking PokerRoom tournaments.  Despite the missing data, the results aren't completely inaccurate.  I already mentioned in a previous blog that I did much better in MTTs than I did in SNGs, and the following backs up that statement - MTTs (194% ROI - 93/100 Ability) vs. SNGs (-31% ROI - 63/100 Ability).  I wouldn't say that I was a bad SNG player, but I definitely could have been more consistent.  Overall, Sharkscope gave me a shark icon (you can't see it via the results posted in my blog but can when you do the actual search) and a 89/100 Ability rating via whatever ridiculous calculation/formula they use to determine the number.  I suppose this means I have some skill when it comes to tournament play, but again, I cannot fully support that without accounting for all of the data.

(Anyone know of a comprehensive poker database that dates back to 2003 and covers sites that no longer exist?)

Furthermore, the following graphs measure my Total Profit/Number of Games Played, ROI%/Entry Fee, and Number of Games Played/Entry Fee, respectively.

Total Profit/Total Number of Games Played Graph

ROI%/Entry Fee Graph

Number of Games Played/Entry Fee Graph

If the second graph is any indication, perhaps I should strictly play higher buy-in tournaments?  Hmmmm...

*notes the CPMG Fall Classic scheduled on my calendar on 11/12*

No comments:

Post a Comment