Monday, October 17, 2011

A (Slight) Bit of Redemption

After failing to cash in Data's Poker After Dark tournament, I redeemed myself a week later via a couple short-handed SNGs that I ended up hosting.

On 9/16/11, I won a 4-player, $20 winner-take-all SNG after defeating Randy (leastbest) heads up.  Dana and Jimmy Bunch were the other players.  Afterward, Randy, Jimmy and I played a 3-handed $20 SNG.  I was first to bust in that one, however, when my QQ failed to hold against Jimmy's K7.  I had hoped to get more players on this night, but Julie also hosted a tournament and most CPMGers went there.

Two days later, on 9/18, I hosted a $30 6-max SNG.  It was me, Dana, Adam, Chantal, Jimmy Bunch and Jimmy's friend Andrew.  I was down early after losing a big pot to Andrew (KK < QT(?) after I 4-Bet it preflop).  Fortunately, I caught a few breaks to battle back.  With 4 players left, I was short-stacked and moved AIPF from the SB with 54o.  Chantal called from the BB with AKo, but I caught a 5 to stay alive.  A bit later, I doubled again when Adam and I both flopped Straights on a QT9 board (my KJ > Adam's J8).  Eventually, Adam and I ended up chopping for $90 apiece.

Finally, I played Linda's Bounty Tournament ($50 - $40 to prize pool, $10 per bounty) on 10/1.  I had a great opening table.  Seated clockwise to my left - McLovin, Cindy, Jamie W, Con, Monsignor, Nicole, Helen Jones (Gambling Mom) and Chaz.  Everyone was incredibly limp-happy and I took advantage of this whenever I was in late position.  I ran my 10k starting stack up to 32800 (good for 2nd in chips behind Data) at the 2nd break and even collected a bounty (Helen Jones) in the process.  When play resumed (10 players left), the wheels came off yet again.  First, I got involved in a strange hand against Nicole where I ended up losing 1/3 of my stack with 32d.  On the Button with 4 limpers ahead of me, I raised in an effort to narrow the field and Nicole was the only caller.  Flop, 8 2 X.  Nicole checked, I bet my pair of Deuces, and she made the call.  Turn, [8 2 X] 2, giving me trips.  Again, Nicole checked and I checked behind to make it look like I was weak.  River, [8 2 X 2] 8.  This time, Nicole led out with a fairly big bet and I agonized before I eventually made the call.  Obviously, she had an 8.  Then, I lost 15k total trying to collect the bounties of two short-stacks that went All-In.  Before I knew it, I was a short-stack myself and eventually busted in 7th place (out of 19 players) when my AK < KT.

Between these tournaments and Data's Poker After Dark, I ended up breaking even.  I may not have gained anything financially, but in writing the blogs for these tournaments and Data's Poker After Dark, I've identified some mistakes/flaws that I need to avoid in future tournaments.  Hopefully, addressing these mistakes will lead to more profitable results in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment