Saturday, September 16, 2017

Colin's $100 Tournament - 9/16/17

Going in, I was super pumped for this tournament. Dana and the kids covered the $100 buy in as a birthday present and was a special occasion since Colin hasn't hosted a CPMG game at his place in years. This was my third CPMG tournament since I came back to the poker group a few months ago.

30k starting stack. 30 minute levels with 1 emergency rebuy before 1st break ends. My table, left to right: Julie, Papa Z, Nicole, Randy, Connor, Colin, TK and Pyxis.
Level 1, 50/100 - Last hand of the level, I get KK vs Julie's QQ. Ace hits the board but I still bet river and she called. I end the level with 34950 chips.
Level 2, 100/200 - 2nd hand of level, I get AA in the cutoff. TK raises to 700 and I re- raise to 2100. Julie, TK and Pyxis call. Flop J 8 4, two spades. I bet 2500. Julie moved all in for 7125 total. I call and she shows JT. Turn [J 8 4] 8. River 10. Julie busts and rebuys. I end the level with 47875 chips.
Level 3,150/300 - I won a small pot vs Pyxis with A9 vs A4. Checked to the river (which was an Ace) and my 9 kicker played.

A bit later, I have 97dd on button. One limper ahead of me and I raise to 700. Julie re-raises to 1900 from SB. I call. I flop a straight [8 6 5]. She bets 2500 and I smooth call. Turn K. She check-calls 4000. River T. She check folds to my 10k bet. I end the level with 62425.
Level 4 200/400 - I end the level with 59025 chips, pretty uneventful.

BREAK - Colin and his wife were gracious enough to provide a wonderful spread that included pulled chicken, buffalo chicken dip, pasta salad, coleslaw, chips, cookies, etc. Thank you very much for that awesome meal! That was not needed but your hospitality was very much appreciated!
Level 5, 300/600 - The second hand back from break, I lose 3400 against Colin calling a raise with JThh. The board was Ten-high with 4 clubs and Colin showed QQ (no club). Twitch joins the table to my left. I end the level with 53550 chips.

Level 6, 300/600/50 - I pick up 66 in early position but brick. I'm pretty card dead for the last hour and a half, and end the level with 46150 chips.

Level 7, 400/800/100 - Antes have been in play since last level, but I'm still card dead and don't get any opportunities to steal any pots/antes. I'm in the big blind with T2o in a 4-way pot. Flop A 2 Q. I bet 1000 and Papa Z only caller. Turn [A 2 Q] is a T, giving me 2-pair. I bet 2000 and Papa Z calls. River [A 2 Q T] is a Q to pair the board. Check-check and he has AJ for the higher 2-pair on the river. I end the level with 41550 chips.

Level 8, 500/1000/100 - Randy busts making us 6 handed, but Adam Lumpkin takes his seat (never played with him before). After a blistering start, it has been 2 straight hours of nothing but rags. Finally, I look down at AKo in the SB. Terry raises to 2100 from button. I reraise to 5000. He thinks for a minute and calls, albeit reluctantly. I don't think he's very strong. Flop 8 7 5. I'm out of position and bricked the board with about 30k left in my stack. I should probably bet 4-5k for information, but that's a good chunk of what I have left in my stack. We both check. Turn [8 7 4] 6. Terry bets 8k. I fold and he shows T9o for a straight. Even if I bet the flop, Terry is probably calling with an open-ender while sitting on a big stack.

I'm UTG+1 with pocket 8's and raise to 2100. Colin calls from the BB. Flop is 9 X X. I bet 2200 and he calls. Turn [9 X X] Q. Check-check. River blank. Colin bets 4k and I call. Colin shows T9 suited for a pair of nines.

Last hand before 2nd break. I have ~21k. I'm UTG with AQo and raise to 2200. 2 callers (Connor on button and Terry in BB). Flop Q T 2. I bet 2800 and both call. Turn [Q T 2] A. TK leads for 15000 (which is a less than what I have left). I certainly thought about Terry having KJ, but also thought AT (smaller 2pr) was a possibility. My gut was telling me to fold top 2-pair. Of course, there are hands that beat me besides the straight (even a set of twos) but I called his 15k bet anyway, thinking AT was more likely than KJ due to the size of Terry's bet. The river was [Q T 2 A] 6. Terry puts me all in for a little under 1k and indeed turns over KJ to bust me out in 19th or 20th place out of 27 runners (with 6 rebuys).

Final thoughts - I shouldn't be going out of tournaments with 2 pair, especially in a deep stack format. If I fold that hand, I have ~16000 left to play with at 600/1200/200 blinds. One double up and I'm right back in the game. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with my decisions after the 1st break. I was on fire to start the tournament only to see my chips slowly disappear. Part of that was 2 hours of rags, but I got a little impatient as a result and it cost me in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment