Monday, August 8, 2011

The World Series of Poker (Part 3)

July 8, 2005

During the break, I call into the Mike Trivosonno show to give Triv and the gang at WTAM 1100 a quick update on how I'm doing.  Afterward, I return to the table with 9600 and the blinds are 50/100.  During this level, I get involved in my first real big hand of the tournament, with QQ on the button.  I raise PF to 400 and Pat (my "friend" from India) re-raises me from the SB to 1200.  Everyone else folds and I take a few minutes to consider my options before 4-betting him 3800 more (for a total bet of 5000).  Pat obviously knows I have a big hand with over half of my stack invested and he mucks after about 6 or 7 minutes of thought.  He tells me he folded pocket Queens (the other 2 in the deck) and my confidence gets a boost, as does my stack to 10900.

The next time around the table, action folds to me in the small blind and I raise to 400 with KQs.  Once again, Pat 3-bets me to 1200 and I begin to think that he's picking on me.  I call and check after the Flop comes Q 3 Q.  Pat checks behind me and the Turn is an [Q 3 Q] 8.  This time, I lead out with a bet of 1200 and to my surprise, Pat re-raises me to 3000.  I think for a minute before calling 1800 more and the River comes a [Q 3 Q 8] 4.  The board is a rainbow with no flush possibilities, so I bet 3000, leaving myself with 3700 behind.  Pat tanks for what seems like ten minutes before he finally folds pocket Aces.  I neglect to show my hand (I never do unless it's a showdown) and can tell that he is pissed.  My stack increases to 15100 in chips and I ask Pat if we're still friends, to which he chuckles and replies "nice hand."

Prior to the second break of the tournament, I make a quick stop at the bathroom to avoid the mad rush of people and long lines.  Upon my return to the Amazon Room, I keep my eyes peeled for professionals and notice Daniel Negreanu and Sam Farha seated together, cameras swarming around their table.  I also spot David Williams, Phil Gordon, Annie Duke and Chip Reese (RIP).  Actress Mimi Rogers is sitting at the table next to mine and David Sklansky is at the table diagonal to it.  Paul "X-22" Magriel sits at the table directly behind mine and he is right in my view.  X-22  is a sight, and a disgusting one at that.  I try not to watch him slobber on himself as he attempts to eat a hamburger.  *shudder* 

Back at my table, I raise a few pots PF but no one gives me any action.  The remainder of the level is uneventful and I have roughly 16000 when Break #2 arrives.  At this point in the tournament, it's clear that I've drawn a decent opening table.  Most of the players are weak, save for Pat who has built his stack up over 20k despite taking a couple of hits against me.  Not only does Pat have prior experience in the WSOP, he is an aggressive player and has shown the ability to (correctly) lay down a big hand.  I hate that he is seated on my left.  

When play resumes with 100/200 blinds, I notice Seat 10 (Lee, aka "L-Train", from Los Angeles) opening up his game a bit more.  Lee has many supporters on the rail who are wearing "L-Train" shirts and are annoyingly chanting "EY-OHHH!" whenever he drags a pot, including the two consecutive times he successfully steals my big blind.  Mind you, these people are standing right behind me, so you can imagine how irritating this gets and how quickly I become motivated to shut them the hell up.  When "L-Train" raises my big blind for the 3rd time in a row, everyone folds to me and it doesn't matter what my cards are (I actually look down and find 22).  It's time to push back.  Time to derail the "L-Train" and tell the rest of the table to lay off of my blind.  I shoot Lee a glance before I re-raise his 500 bet to 2000.  He folds quickly and I tell him to "watch himself" as I add a bit more to my stack.  

Before "L-Train" and I can further engage in war, however, our table unexpectedly breaks.  My new assignment is Table 39, Seat 8 and I am headed there with 15400 in chips.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment