Sunday, August 14, 2011

The World Series of Poker (Part 5)

July 8, 2005

During the dinner break, I check in with the PokerRoom staff, hoping to run into my fellow Team PokerRoom.com members Dave (NIWSYAWLAI) and Jim (JDTrojan3).  Sadly, neither are present and in speaking with the bloggers that are posting updates on the PokerRoom web site, I learn that Dave busted out after 4 hours of play (KK < 88).  Jim is still alive, but he too eventually busts before play ends for the night.  I give the PokerRoom staff an update of my own and explain what went down in the KK hand.  Soon after, my mom (bless her for being so patient and supportive) arrives with dinner and it consists of a hot dog, a big bowl of fruit and a can of Dr. Pepper.  It's just what the doctor ordered and the food serves as a much-needed refresher before play resumes with 60 minutes left in Level 4.

Back at the table, I basically tread water well into Level 5 (150/300 blinds, 50 ante) without experiencing any real fluctuation in chips.  Then, with an hour left to play in the night, several players limp in ahead of me before I look down at AQo on the button.  In an effort to narrow the field, I raise to 1600 and the BB (sitting on 4100 total) just calls.  To my surprise, the young internet player in Seat 2 min-raises my bet to 3200 and it folds around back to me.  I realize that the BB is still in the hand and is likely to push AI for his remaining 2500, so I give it some thought before I eventually decide to call the additional 1600.  Sure enough, the BB commits the rest of his chips and Seat 2 and I both call 900 more.  Flop Q 9 6, two hearts.  Seat 2 leads out for 1600 and I ship it AI for 5600 more (7200 total).  With my WSOP tournament life at stake, I'm gutted when my opponent snap-calls and flips over AA.  The BB has 88 and the Turn and River offer no help to either of  us.

At 11:15pm, I stand up and tap the table, dejected that my WSOP has come to a sudden end.  I'd give anything for a do-over, for a chance to actually THINK through the hand instead of playing AQ blindly like it was a monster.  Seat 2's limp/min-raise PF should have been a clear indication that he had AA, yet for some inexplicable reason, I called anyway and obviously couldn't get away from the flop.  It's one thing to get eliminated via a bad beat, but in the WSOP, it definitely feels worse getting eliminated because you fucked up and played bad.

Forced to hit the rail, I exit the Amazon Room in disbelief alongside mom and her best consoling efforts.  All I want to do is head back to Luxor and hide away in my room until the sting of busting out of the WSOP fades away.  Not to mention, I'm physically and mentally exhausted.  Drained, spent, you name it... and I only made it 12 hours in the tournament.  Imagine how I'd feel if I lasted several days.  Anyway, on our way back to the rental car, I notice a familiar face walking next to us in the hallway of the Rio... actress Mimi Rogers!


It turns out Mimi just busted out of the WSOP as well when her AK < 66.  The fact that she took the time to share her beat, take a picture with me and sign my WSOP program was truly awesome.  She couldn't have been sweeter.

Overall, playing in the 2005 WSOP Main Event was an experience I will never forget.  I couldn't be more grateful to the folks at PokerRoom.com, who supported and cared about all of their qualifiers and made sure each and every one of us had a memorable and fun trip to Las Vegas.  Sadly, I didn't cash in the tournament or even make it past the first day, but I know if another opportunity ever presents itself, I will be better prepared to accomplish those goals.  Here's hoping that opportunity comes sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment