Friday, August 12, 2011

The World Series of Poker (Part 4)

July 8, 2005

I make my way through the enormous Amazon Room and find Table 39 located in the middle, still along the rail but with more of a crowd present.


Fortunately, this table also lacks professionals and I occupy Seat 8 with 15400 in chips.  The first hand I'm dealt at my new table is TT and I raise to 800 from early position, still on 100/200 blinds.  Everyone folds  and the guy in Seat 6 informs me that a few players have already busted from the seat that I just filled.  I tell him that I intend to change that trend and we share a laugh and shake hands.  Already, I can tell a difference between this table and my previous one in that the players are more active and lively, both in table talk and in their play.  Not only are more flops being seen in general, there are more players to the flop as well with plenty of limping and raising going on.  Unfortunately, the deck shits on me with hands like J4 and 92, which discourages me from joining in on the fun.

With 90 minutes to go until the scheduled dinner break at 7pm, fatigue begins to set in.  Yes, fatigue.  I realize that we're barely even 6 hours into the 7 day long tournament, but understand that I have very limited experience playing poker in a live setting, having never played a session or tournament that has lasted longer than 5-6 hours.  Admittedly, I did not anticipate - nor did I prepare for - the physical demands of the WSOP.  Tired and lacking focus, I neglect to pay much attention to the other players at the table when I should be trying to pick up tells and tendencies and whatnot.  My iPod becomes a distraction as I scroll through songs and playlists to pass time whilst continuing to fold trash hand after trash hand.

When Level 4 (100/200 blinds, 25 ante) rolls around, I finally pick up a hand - AA on the button.  Of course, no one gives me action and a short time later, I run a bluff into a monster.  At this point, I'm frustrated, impatient, tired, hungry, antsy, uncomfortable, etc.  The dinner break can't get here quick enough, but before it does, the deck hits me with a memorable series of hands:

Hand 1 - I find KK UTG and raise to 800.  The guy in the NoblePoker.com shirt sitting directly to my left calls and we're heads up to a flop of K 9 6 rainbow.  Bingo!  With top set, I lead out for 1200 and my opponent calls.  Turn [K 9 6] 4, and I bet another 1200.  It's a small bet into a decent sized pot, but I want my opponent to think I'm weak and perhaps even lure him into raising.  Instead, he just calls and the River is [K 9 6 4] Q, with no flush possible.  I bet 1800 and my opponent thinks for a minute before raising me 5000 more (6800 total)!  This surprises me a bit as I try to narrow down his possible holdings.  The only hand that can beat me is JT and it's hard to put him on that holding given the action that has gone down thus far.  Would he call a raise PF with JT from UTG+1?  Would he call flop and turn bets with nothing but a gutter draw?  He had chips to spare with a decent sized stack, but I decided it was more likely he hit 2pr on the river with KQ or was holding a weaker set (of nines or sixes).  I call the 5000 and sure enough, he tables JT to drag the 20k pot.  Instead of sitting pretty with a stack of 26k, I'm left with a mere 5500 after the hand.

Hand 2 - I pick up 33 in middle position and raise the BB of a weak passive woman who just seems happy to be participating in the WSOP.  She calls and we're heads up to the Flop, which she checks.  Thankfully, she folds to my continuation bet and I add about 1000 to my stack.

Hand 3 - I call a raise PF with 77.  Flop 7 X X.  I bet it but no one calls.  I probably should have slow-played this hand, but I think there was a flush draw on board.

Hand 4 - I call a raise PF with ATs.  Flop A T X.  My opponent leads out for 1000, I ship it AI, and he folds.  This is another hand that I probably should have slow-played (ie, just called the Flop and gone AI on the Turn).  Meh.

Hand 5 - I raise PF with 86h.  Weak passive woman calls and the flop pairs my eight.  I bet it, she calls.  Check-check on the turn and river and my eights take it at the showdown when she shows KJ for King high.  Oooo-kay.

When the dinner break arrives, I'm thankful to have chipped back up to 11000, which is more than enough to stage a comeback.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment