Friday, November 16, 2012

CPMG Podcast (feat. Matt G) Review - My Thoughts on Alcohol in Poker

Featured guest Matt Gecik (Matt G) joined hosts Doug Poker and Data for further discussion on cash games.  Not only is Matt one of the best cash game players in the CPMG, but he is one of the nicest guys in the group.  Matt often plays in the cash game that I deal for and he always greets me with a handshake and a smile.  I was interested to learn how Matt got started in poker and also how much his sister influenced him in switching over from tournaments to cash games.  Matt G has a tendency to drink a few Bud Lights or Yuenglings at the poker table, so that conversation (initiated by the straight and narrow cyborg), though brief, was certainly entertaining.

On the topic of alcohol, I distinctly remember a tournament that I played at Julie's many months ago.  It was someone's birthday (Ang's I believe?).  75% of the field was female and PLENTY of shots were going around between the tournament players.  By the start of Level 4, I think Data, RR Dave and I were the only sober ones left.  Needless to say, it made for an entertaining evening.  Some players might get annoyed by people who drink at the table.  It doesn't bother me that much unless the person is obliterated beyond comprehension or is being verbally or physically abusive towards the other players.  Fortunately, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen that happen since I started playing poker in 2003.  Conversely, that leads me to believe that I haven't been playing enough live poker.  Only once have I had the honor of playing at the same table as Grayday, whose gimmick in the CPMG is everyone's favorite drunk.  I've dealt at his cash table numerous times but I believe I have only played poker with him once during the 2011 CPMG Fall Classic tournament.  Most everyone who will read this blog knows what happens after Grayday has 15 beers or so, give or take a 6 pack.  I once watched him have a $900 swing (won't mention which way) in a mere 20 minutes... at a $1/$1 cash table.  It was quite a feat.  When sober, Grayday appears to be a very competent poker player, but it's clear that his play is affected when he is under the influence.  The opposite seems to be true for Matt G, who is able to keep his focus and play solid poker after 6+ beers.  Of course, different people have different tolerance levels when it comes to alcohol.  Me?  I rarely drink when I play poker anymore.  I know that one too many beers will affect my mood and play.  If I'm hosting a game, I might have a few since I don't have to drive anywhere but I moderate my intake since 99% of the time I'm responsible for the bank.  I don't remember the last time that I brought booze to someone else's poker game.  Steve's basement maybe?  Simply put, I'm not there to drink or socialize.  I'm there to play poker.  I want people to see that I'm serious about the game, giving it my full attention and trying to win.  That's not to say that you shouldn't ever approach me at a game.  I always look forward to chatting it up with my friends in the group and meeting new players but my main focus always is winning.

Overall, the podcast with Matt G was another enjoyable listen.  My next blog will review podcasts 3 and 4 which featured guests Jen and Adam Rhodes respectively.  I have already listened to both episodes and planned on reviewing them here but this blog ended up running a bit long.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment