Tuesday, November 13, 2012

CPMG Podcast (feat. Colin Mahon) Review and Random Poker Musings

So, it's starting to slow down a bit at work.  During my downtime, I usually listen to music on my phone but since my playlists are outdated and my poker itch seems to be coming back, I finally decided to give a listen to the CPMG podcast.  I know, I'm a year behind... but it's better late than never, right?  My friend Doug Poker and CPMG Organizer Data are your podcast hosts and their first guest was a player and person that I have a lot of respect for, Colin Mahon.  Colin is widely viewed as one of the best poker players in the CPMG, so I was definitely looking forward to hearing what he had to say.  The topic of the podcast was cash games - an area that I don't have much experience in save for dealing on occasion.  Before I joined the CPMG in 2007, I was strictly a tournament player.  I suppose I still am considering I don't have the bankroll to sit down at anything but micro-stakes cash, but I'm more open to playing cash games now than I was when I first joined the CPMG.  Colin mentions in the podcast that it's much easier to make a decent profit in a cash game than it is to grind out a tournament for hours on end.  I realized this a while ago (mentioned in my blog post back in February), I just haven't had the scratch to sit down and play in a cash game.  I did host a micro-stakes (0.25/0.50) game at my house back in June and I'd like to start hosting again soon, but realistically that will probably happen sometime after Christmas.  Anyway, hearing Colin discuss his approach to cash games and poker in general was a delight.  I found the podcast to be an easy listen - I made it through the whole 1 hour and 41 minutes without ever thinking "Christ! When is this going to end?"  Doug Poker and Data were well prepared with questions for Colin and Colin was honest and informative with what he had to say.  If you haven't checked out the CPMG Podcast yet, I highly recommend you do so - this episode in particular if cash games are your cup of tea.  The podcast is listed on iTunes - search "CPMG" or "CPMG Podcast."

I'll probably post my thoughts on the rest of the CPMG Podcast episodes as I work through them, so stay tuned.

In other news, Day 1 of the CPMG Fall Classic (a tournament I played last November and blogged about) is in the books.  Day 2 of the tournament will be completed on Saturday 11/17.  There are 8 players left, Supertight Prowest is the chip leader (205,700 in chips) and Krazy Joe (186,700) is breathing down his neck right behind him.  Also left in the field are Keith, Linda, Robert R., Jeff R., Big Country and Malcolm.  Jeff and Big Country and both short-stacked, but I like their chances if either of them happen to double up early.  Malcolm can be dangerous too - another guy that I'd like to see win.  Krazy Joe always seems to be the players who eliminates or cripples me in the tournaments that I've played recently, but it'd be quite a feat to see him win the tournament for the second year in a row.  Best of luck to the remaining players.

I saw Steve Weixel mention on Facebook that the WSOP Circuit events in Cleveland are now off the schedule.  No word yet as to why.  If true, it would be unfortunate news considering the WSOP Circuit Events provide opportunities for the CPMG to stand out and make a statement in the poker world.

2 comments:

  1. First I've heard about the WSOP-C, and that really sucks. I was planning on making my triumphant return to the shores of Lake Erie for those events. Hopefully they will be re-scheduled with enough notice so I can get the time off work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame. Would have been nice to see you sir! Hopefully next year or sooner.

      Delete