Friday, November 9, 2012

CPMG Team Tournament 2012 (08/18/12)

August 18, 2012 - CPMG Team Tournament 2012 ($80) - Terry K's house in Seville, OH

My favorite CPMG tournament of the year and the one I usually try to go out of my way to attend.  Initially, I asked Yosh and Jack T-Way if they wanted to be on a team with me.  Jack was all for it but I never heard back from Yosh.  A few days passed, so I assumed it was a no-go.  Later that weekend, I got a text from Jamie W who was playing at a game with Doza and Marc S.  They were looking to finalize their team and wanted me to join them because "I was the best Free Agent available" (which I seriously doubt, given how little I play poker these days).  I agreed to join them and was completely oblivious to the fact that Jack T-Way was under the impression that he and I were going to be on a team (even though we never really finalized anything).  Needless to say, I forgot to tell Jack that I was partnering up with Doza and Marc.  Fortunately, Jack is a nice guy and was very understanding when I saw him at the tournament and apologized.

I didn't keep a running log of each level of the tournament, but here is a brief synopsis:

12k starting stack.  36 players total, 12 teams.  My opening table had Randy, Googe, Tutt, Ang, Diablo, Hip Hop, and some dude that looked identical to Jax from Sons of Anarchy.  Nothing significant happened in the early levels until the last hand before the first break.  With roughly 10k in chips to start the hand and a raise and a call ahead of me, I attempted a squeeze play with 87o.  The initial raiser folded but Joe W (new to the table) called.  The Flop brought me nothing but a gutshot straight draw, but I bet strong and got Joe W to fold after much deliberation.  At the first break, I had 14025 in chips and had the healthiest stack on my team.  After the break, I moved to a new table that was much tougher.  It featured a guy I didn't know (who was awful), Krazy Joe, Patty, Nautica Brian, Jen and Jack T-Way.  At least I had position on Brian, Jen and Jack.  In Level 9 (300/600), I took my first hit of the tournament.  With KTo in the BB, I was heads-up versus an early limper (the guy I didn't know).  Flop, K T 3.  I bet 600 and my opponent called.  Turn [K T 3] J.  I bet 1200.  My opponent hesitated for a second and went all in for 3700 more.  I called and was disgusted to see him turn over AQ for Broadway.  After the hand, I was down to 7750 in chips.  In Level 10 (400/800), Krazy Joe min-raised from early position.  Jack T-Way called the 1600 from the SB and I called from the BB with T8cc.  The Flop brought 2 clubs and I led out for 2300.  Krazy Joe put me all in for a couple thousand more and I bricked out to his top pair of Kings.

Marc S (32nd place), Doza (11th) and I (23rd) came nowhere close to the Team or Individual payouts, but it was still a great time and I'm glad Doza and Marc thought enough of me as a player to ask me to be on their team.

Just typing this up, I'm already looking forward to next year's Team Tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment