Monday, November 19, 2012

Julie's $60 15k Starting Stack Saturday (11/17/12)

Around 4pm this past Saturday, I got the urge to play poker.  There were a few games posted on the CPMG calendar but playing in Terry K's cash game wasn't really an option for me, so I RSVP'd for Julie's $60 15k Starting Stack Saturday tournament.  20 minute levels.  My opening table (starting on my left and clockwise) was Dave (a guy I have never played with before), Cheryl, Ang, Megan, Pyxis, Julie and Randy.

Level 1 (25/50) - Megan opens to 275 from mid-position.  I call from the SB with 99.  Flop, Q 2 X.  I check-call 500.  Turn [Q 2 X] J.  Check-check.  River [Q 2 X J] K.  Check-check again.  Megan turns over AK for a rivered pair of Kings.  I end the level with 14025 chips.

Level 2 (50/100) - 3 players limp preflop and I complete from the SB with T7dd.  The BB checks and 5 players see a Flop, T 8 7.  I lead out for 400.  Ang raises to 1000 straight.  Folds around to me and I call.  Turn [T 8 7] 2.  I check-call 1500.  River [T 8 7 2] Q.  I check again and Ang makes a great value bet of 1500, which lures me to call.  She turns over J9 for the flopped nuts.

Later in the level, I decide to mix it up a bit from UTG and raise to 250 with A8ss.  Ang calls, Julie calls from the SB and Randy calls from the BB.  Flop, J 9 7, 2 spades.  With the nut flush draw and a gutshot straight draw, I lead out for 600 and everyone calls.  Turn [J 9 7] was a blank.  Checks to me, I bet 2500 and Randy is the only caller.  River [J 9 7 X] 2.  Randy checks.  Having whiffed all my draws, I contemplate what to do given Randy's tendency to be a calling station.  I know he has something, but my positional disadvantage throughout the hand didn't really give me enough information to put him on a definitive hand.  Finally, something in my head tells me that I can't just let him have the pot, so I bet 3500.  Randy insta-calls and shows 9-7 for a flopped 2 pair.  I end the level with 3975 chips.

Level 3 (75/150) - ATss in the BB.  Julie min-raises to 300 from the Button and I'm the only caller.  Flop brings 2 spades.  Check-check.  I make my flush on the Turn and check again, hoping Julie will take a stab at it, but she checks behind.  On the River, I lead out for 500 but Julie folds.  I end the level with 4500 chips.

Level 4 (100/200) - Folds to me in the hijack and I raise to 500 with 54ss.  Megan is the only caller in the BB.  Flop, A 3 X.  Megan checks, I bet 700 and Megan calls.  Turn [A 3 X] is a blank.  Megan checks and I check behind.  River [A 3 X X] doesn't help me and I fold when Megan leads out with a sizable bet.

Later in the level, 4 players limp in ahead of me and I look down at T9o in the BB.  It doesn't really matter what the cards are - I announce that I'm All-In for 3000 exactly.  Everyone realizes that I'm making a play here, but they all fold anyway.  This was my best and only good play of the tournament.  I end the level with 3900.

Level 5 (125/250) - Folded for 20 minutes.  I end the level and survive the first break with 3150.

Level 6 (150/300) - Folds to me on the Button and I ship it for 3150 with Ac3s, hoping to steal the blinds.  Dave thinks about it for a second from the SB and calls with 77 (BB folds).  I make a flush when the board runs out with 4 spades, but Dave has the 7 of spades to beat my 3 and I'm eliminated from the tournament.

So what's the lesson here folks?  How about some multiple choice to keep things simple:

A)  Try to avoid playing hands out of position.
B)  Try to avoid playing hands out of position.
C)  Try to avoid playing hands out of position.

In Level 1, I probably should have just folded pocket nines in the SB facing a 5.5x raise preflop.  To some of you that probably sounds crazy but I typically play extremely tight in the beginning levels of tournaments.

The T7 hand in Level 2 was more acceptable in terms of calling preflop but my post-flop play was just awful.  Instead of trying to narrow down Ang's possible holdings, I just blindly played my 2 pair in hopes that it was good. Looking back, I realize that Ang's raise on the Flop made it obvious she had a straight, set or 2 pair (an overpair to the board unlikely in an unraised pot preflop).  Really, the only hand that I'm ahead of in that spot is 87.  If I would have taken the time to analyze the hand, I might have check-folded on the River when I didn't improve to a Full House.

Similarly, I got myself into a world of shit during the A8 hand in Level 2.  My main issue here was UTG hand selection, though trying to buy the pot on the River vs. a calling station wasn't exactly the brightest move either.

After Level 2, I played much better poker but the hole that I dug myself into in the first two levels was so deep that my odds of recovering were slim to none.  I will definitely learn from my mistakes in this tournament and adjust accordingly moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment